Technical Director for Renewable Energy & Battery Storage - Hanoi, Vietnam
Leap29 have a fantastic opportunity which is available to be based in Hanoi, as Technical Director for Wind, Solar and Battery Storage projects in South Vietnam. My client are a large global utilities company.
The Technical Director will be working on the Renewables Projects (wind farms, PV power plants, storage). The position will be based in Hanoi, together with the Business Development Director within a multidisciplinary project organization, including finance, legal, engineering and construction experts.
The position shall be attached to the Project Management Office within the Industry Division and the Technical Division which is based in the HQ.
The Technical Director will be responsible for the successful and safe technical development and delivery of projects in Vietnam, particularly during construction stages. In particular, he or she is responsible for the successful execution of the project contract(s) in terms of safety, budget, planning, and quality. He is accountable for the decisions related to the contractors and subcontractors, in particular but not limited to: technical choices, contract management, procurement, and staffing.
Some of the key responsibilities of the Technical Director include the following:
• Participation in the upstream contracting process to ensure an optimum alignment of contractual commitments and incentives on quality, deadlines, milestones, costs, risks and opportunities.
• Management of the contracts in place at Financial Clause (Engineering, Procurement and Construction related contracts, subcontractor's contracts etc.)
• Represents company with regards to all aspects of the Engineering, Procurement Construction, Quality and Health & Safety of the Project
• The implementation and deployment of Industrial Policy, QHSE, Project Management policies and good practices at project level
• Final validation of all key technical and construction documents and decisions related to the execution of the projects contracts
• Management of a project team (Site manager, Site engineers, Site HSE officer Owner's Engineer, etc.)
• Suppliers and contractors' management
• Provide cost assumptions for the projects
• Management of the Project budget and costs, including: management of procurement (for cost under its limit of authorization), negotiations with contractors / subcontractors, claim management etc.
• Strong leadership in the resolution of problems occurring during the Project Engineering phase and during Construction. Preparation of detailed recommendations
• Regular reporting to the Project Director and to the Project Board, including attendance to Steering Committees chaired by the Project Director
• Initiation and implementation of strong working relationships with all key stakeholders
• Identification, monitoring and mitigation of the construction-related risks
• Careful attention to all local aspects of the construction-related activities and development of good relations with local communities and citizens
• Punchlist management
The Technical Director, depending on the project specific conditions, timeline and organization, may support and contribute to:
• The Technical Due-Diligence of new project-opportunities
• The preparation of project(s) technical proposal, Engineering, Procurement and Construction contracts and construction works
In addition, the Technical Director shall become the representative for EPC matters in Vietnam. In this perspective, he will have to develop the relationship with the local stakeholders of the region; incl. technical advisors, suppliers, contractors, authorities etc.
The local Vietnamese projects team will be supported by the finance, engineering, procurement, construction and legal divisions of the head-office and/or local consultants.
Experience & Skills:
• Education: Master's degree in Engineering or equivalent
• Experience: 10 to 15 years of experience in technical project management and construction in the field of Power Generation and at least 5 years in a leading technical position in utility scale Plants.
• Experience and understanding of Vietnamese Contractors and local Authorities is key.
• Experience in the Renewable Sector, e.g. Wind, Solar, Storage, would be a plus;
• International experience also be appreciated.
• Strong technical and commercial understanding of all key challenges of the development, construction and operation of Power generation projects (electrical, mechanical and civil engineering, HV works, procurement, etc.).
• Ability to manage technical teams and subcontractors. Strong business acumen and commercial skills including knowledge of technical and commercial terms, contractual arrangements incl. EPCs, Supply Agreements, O&Ms, etc. Strong Project Management competences and leadership capabilities (Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, HSE, Risks, etc…).
• A certification in Project Management (eg PMP, Prince2, etc) would be a plus.
• Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment, rigor, with a winning spirit and with emphasis on negotiations, stakeholders' management and communication.
• Ability to develop a local network to facilitate the corporate strategies, ability to manage and support a team in an intensive, intercultural and complex context
Languages: Fluent in English and Vietnamese is mandatory.
If you are interested in this position, please send your cv through to Rob Byrom.
To help Leap29 find you that perfect job, we need to store and process your personal information.
That means that your details will be entered into Leap29's database and our consultants may contact you from time to time with relevant job opportunities.
By applying you're confirming you're happy for us to do that!