Principal Design Engineer Microgrids - Australia
Leap29 have a fantastic opportunity which is available for immediate hire, for Microgrid projects across Australia. Microgrids are highly complex interconnected systems and our client are looking for an experienced Principal Design Engineer to lead the design engineering disciplines within the organization that underpin assessment and design of sophisticated hybrid power systems across an expanding global platform.
Our client are seeking for an experienced Principal Design Engineer who will be responsible for the following key functions:
• Leading specification and design activities for leading hybrid microgrid projects involving a wide range of renewable, enabling, and thermal generation technologies across all markets.
• Leading integration design of new microgrid technologies in industry standard and accepted practices,
• Leading development of industry leading microgrid design business processes and their implementation within the wider Business
• Support for the development of system architecture to service the operating centre, and
• Sharing expertise and insight with other engineers within the business.
Within key functions, Principal Design Engineer is expected to:
• Create engineering design vision for the company and implement this through the regional engineering teams,
• Serve as primary approver of all concept and detailed engineering designs, and third-party engineering designs,
• Be primary advisor on the selection of appropriate microgrid technologies and lead relationships with key partners and suppliers-directly or via delegation,
• Works with project development, construction, operations and maintenance, and information systems teams to develop solutions appropriate to client needs, and ensure engineering team support the detailed scoping, pricing and planning of these deployments,
• Visits customer sites, local suppliers and core partners, as required, to ensure the best solutions for customers and returns for investors,
• Assist BD and Sales teams with project identification, assessment and development, by providing sound advice on project technical issues and assistance with proposal development relevant to technical discipline,
• Provide engineering and broader microgrid technical input to business cases, specifications, tendering and procurement processes, and continuing through to review and approval of detailed design,
• Undertake, directly or via supervision of third-parties, relevant civil, mechanical, and electrical site investigations: local soil conditions, structural constraints, existing and future mechanical processes and electrical generating and power delivery plant,
• Prepare technical and functional specifications for, and supervise the concept and detailed designs of civil, mechanical and electrical systems,
• Perform scoping and management of third-party engineers for specialist engineering studies where appropriate,
• Contribute to team achievements through collaboration,
• Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures as well as all requirements of the relevant Workplace Health and Safety Act; and
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all data and technical information.
The global business operating within several world markets through regional offices. As global role, the role of Principal Design Engineer will liaise with the Global business, all regional offices, and across entire business value chain.
The role of Principal Design Engineer sits within the Global business, Operations group within the Engineering team, and reports to the Vice President Engineering. The role does not have direct reports, however all design engineering activities across all regional offices sit within the responsibility of Principal Design Engineer.
Tertiary qualifications in electrical engineering, acceptable for admission to membership for the Institution of Engineers Australia or equivalent.
Knowledge and skills
Principal Design Engineer should possess the following knowledge:
• Hybrid microgrid markets, hybrid microgrid customers and their unique needs,
• Hybrid microgrid generating systems, enabling supplemental technologies, associate and auxiliary power generating equipment,
• Knowledge of design and risk assessment processes, standards and industry rules and regulations,
• General IT knowledge of contract management systems; database software, design software, development software, internet software, project management software, spreadsheet software and word processing software,
• General knowledge of project management and techniques for development planning and project analysis,
Principal Design Engineer should possess the following skills:
• Develops and maintains a safe working environment
• Report writing - demonstrated ability to concisely express oneself in accurate technical manner, and to have the skill to interpret technical details and obstacles to non-engineering key stakeholders,
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback, puts success of team above own interests, builds morale and commitments to goals and objectives
• Delegation - Delegates work assignments sensibly, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others, inspires and motivates others, effective influencing, inspires respect and trust, mobilizes others, passionate and optimistic
• Organizational Support - Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time, supports organization's goals and values, benefits organization through outside activities, respects diversity
• Tactical Action - Focuses on delivery of the core tasks, rolls up the sleeves and ensures delivery, works at any level to ensure the job is finished
• Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals, understands organization's strengths & weaknesses, analyzes market and competition (identifies external threats and opportunities, adapts strategy to changing conditions),
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity, meets challenges with resourcefulness and generates suggestions for improving work, develops innovative approaches and ideas
• Well-developed written, oral and interpersonal skills with the ability to write concise technical reports, make presentations and efficiently run meetings
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively (e.g. with clients and service providers)
• Possess current drivers license
Principal Design Engineer should have the following experience:
• Significant practical hybrid microgrids industry experience in:
• Constructing and commissioning,
• Operating and troubleshooting microgrids,
• Significant practical industry experience in developing new solutions:
• Integration of new microgrid technologies,
• Development of novel and innovative designs and system topologies,
• Significant practical industry-proven and demonstrated/implemented knowledge of microgrid technologies:
• Established generating technologies, such as thermal diesel/gas generation,
• Established renewable generating technologies such as solar, wind, hydro (desirable),
• Established energy storage technologies such as batteries, flywheels, ultra-capacitors (desirable),
• Practical industry-proven and demonstrated/implemented knowledge of:
• civil designs, and
• mechanical designs,
• Practical industry experience in Procurement process:
• Costing up electrical generating systems (hybrid microgrids desirable),
• Specification of civil, mechanical, and electrical microgrid-related systems and components,
• Project value engineering,
• Negotiations with contractors and suppliers,
• Practical industry experience in Project Management:
• Design package delivery project management,
• Time scheduling,
• Engineering team tasking,
• Practical industry experience in business processes:
• Development of new engineering group processes,
• Rollout of new engineering group processes,
• Optimisation of established engineering processes.
Desirable further experience:
• Design and construction of combined heat and power technologies,
• Design and construction of steam delivery systems,
• Design and construction of reverse osmosis systems,
• Design and construction of civil/mechanical design of water delivery systems.
If you are interested in this fantastic opportunity, please send your cv through to Rob Byrom.
To help Leap29 find you that perfect job, we need to store and process your personal information.
That means that your details will be entered into Leap29's database and our consultants may contact you from time to time with relevant job opportunities.
By applying you're confirming you're happy for us to do that!